Mark Hamill regrets voicing criticism of Luke Skywalker character in The Last Jedi
In one interview Mark Hamill commented that the character was "not my Luke Skywalker".
Mark Hamill is taking back his comments on his character’s depiction in the new Star Wars movie.
The 66-year-old actor took to Twitter on Tuesday (26Dec17) to express regret about comments he previously made about Star Wars: The Last Jedi. Hamill expressed during an interview that he didn’t like the direction Looper filmmaker Rian Johnson took his character Luke Skywalker.
In one interview he commented the character, which he first appeared as in 1977 film Stars Wars: A New Hope, was "not my Luke Skywalker".
The Last Jedi shows the character in hiding, and Hamill didn't believe it was realistic for Luke.
“I said to Rian, I said ‘Jedis don’t give up.’ I mean, even if he had a problem, he would maybe take a year to try and regroup, but if he made a mistake he would try and right that wrong, so right there, we had a fundamental difference, but, it’s not my story anymore,” he said in a recent interview posted by Spanish-language movie site SensaCine. “It’s somebody else’s story, and Rian needed me to be a certain way to make the ending effective.”
Hamill added: “I almost had to think of Luke as another character. Maybe he’s Jake Skywalker, he’s not my Luke Skywalker.”
After facing some criticism from Star Wars fans online, Hamill took back his comments and praised director Johnson on Twitter.
“I regret voicing my doubts & insecurities in public. Creative differences are a common element of any project but usually remain private. All I wanted was to make (a) good movie. I got more than that- @rianjohnson made an all-time GREAT one! #HumbledHamill,” he tweeted.
Despite the criticism from its star, the sequel to 2015's The Force Awakens, starring Daisy Ridley and John Boyega, has been a huge success at the box office. It stormed past the $500 million (£374 million) milestone at the global box office in less than a week of release.
© Cover Media